Thursday, April 25, 2013

It's been a while and tapas

Hello out there!  I return with no promises of consistent writing patterns, but a promise to always share things I feel are worth sharing.  In today's case, I thought I would tell you about Spanish tortillas.  No, I am not talking about what gets wrapped around a burrito.  A Spanish tortilla, or tortilla española, is a combination of eggs, potatoes, and optional fillings in the shape of a big, round disk.  It is so simple, but if it is done right, it can be out of this world.  I grew up eating Spanish tortillas and have distinct memories of having it packed in my lunchbox at school (thanks ma mere!).

Spanish tortilla is often found on menus at tapas bars and can be served warm or at room temperature.  When a friend asked me to bring an appetizer for her dinner party, I thought that a Spanish tortilla would be the perfect treat.  This first attempt was not pretty by any stretch of the imagination.  I slightly charred both the bottom and top of the tortilla and had to cut them off, but without the crust to stabilize the filling, many of my tortilla cubes fell apart (I was cutting them into cubes to make an easier to eat appetizer).  Although it did not look nice, the flavor was all there, and people at the dinner party enjoyed it.

A little crispy around the edges... not bad but not ideal

My second attempt, however, resulted in a much better looking meal.  Hubby had just run in the Fort Worth Zoo Run 5k, and I thought I would treat him with a fancy breakfast.  I started cooking up some potatoes and threw in some onions and cubed ham.  I was at a crossroads... I could easily serve the potatoes with eggs over easy, or I could go a step further and make a Spanish tortilla.  Hubby said go for it, and I added the eggs to the potato mixture.  I made sure to lower the heat and watch it carefully this time.  I was also making a smaller batch, which may have played a role in my success.  Regardless of the reason, the tortilla turned out perfectly.  Hubby enjoyed every bite of his post-race meal. 

Tortillas are filled in the pan, though not like pancakes

Here's a look at the inside of a slice... a mosaic of delicious-ness

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    !!Que tortilla mas linda!! Se parece mucho a las que hacia abuela Rosa. Eres la primera en hacerla.
    Felicitaciones

    ReplyDelete