Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The 15 Mile Biking Adventure

This past weekend, the sun didn't shine in Fort Worth.  Lucky for hubby and I, it didn't rain (at least not that much), so we were able to enjoy cooler weather and some time outside.  Hubby got excited about the possibility of being outside without being drenched in sweat and suggested we go for a bike ride.  About a month ago, hubby had done a crazy ride that took him to a beautiful, wooded park, and he wanted to share it with me.  The only issue was that the ride was about 15 miles long.  I happen to be a good sport, but I wasn't necessarily looking forward to riding that long.

We started on the Trinity Trail path where I had ridden on before.  After a while, we reached the furthest point I had ever gone and blew right past it.  We kept biking and pedaling with hubby promising that it's not much further.  The ride was nice with the cooler weather, and we passed several people who were also enjoying the change in temperature.  We passed trains, apartments, parks, trees, neighborhoods, and miles of path as we followed the foot steps (or bike treads) of hubby's previous ride.


Hubby riding along the Trinity River.

We finally made it to Oakmont Park in the Benbrook area of Fort Worth.  The park was more wooded than I had expected with dirt path trails that stemmed from the main bike/walking path. We took a break to appreciate being surrounded by nature as we snacked and drank water.  Then we were off again to get back home to Maui (and lunch).

Riding through the park almost felt like we weren't in Fort Worth anymore.

Over bridges, under trees, through neighborhoods all the way back to our apartment building.  I wasn't sure I would make it the whole 15 miles since I had never ridden that far before, but I made it.  Just as we approached our apartment building, it started to rain.  That gave me the motivation I needed to finish the ride with speed.  It was so much fun to be outside with hubby enjoying Fort Worth.  I am actually looking forward to another crazy but amazing biking adventure.

We really did go over bridges in Oakmont park.

 There I am riding.  Hubby and I were all about safety first with our helmets.

 We rode under trees in Trinity Park.

 We went through neighborhoods and saw one house that was already ready for Halloween.

We rode under highways and streets.
 
And we even rode past a goldendoodle that reminded us of Maui.

1 comment:

  1. You two are really exploring the DFW area. Good for you both!

    ReplyDelete