Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dad and Pork Chops

After a wonderful weekend away, my Monday was off to a very slow start.  By the time the afternoon rolled around, I knew I had to get at least all the little things done like plan for dinner, laundry, and picking up just enough for my dad who was coming to see the apartment while he was in town on business.

For dinner, I made pistachio encrusted pork chops with brussel sprouts.  The dinner was inspired on the Tuscan Parmesan Pork Chops recipe from Taste of Home.  I say it was inspired because I didn't have the zesty Italian dressing called for in the recipe nor did I have hazelnuts.  Bone-in pork chops were on sale last week, so the recipe was going to happen with or without all the necessary ingredients.  I marinated my pork chops in just mustard with a little bit of chicken broth to water it down.  Then I used pistachios (which were conveniently available at Trader Joe's), which I enjoy the flavor of more anyways.  The brussel sprouts are one of our go-to favorites.  I simply cut the sprouts in half and toss in a combination of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Then I put them into a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes turning them half way through.

The dinner turned out delicious.  So much so that hubby told my dad how great it had been, and hubby has already called dibs on the leftover pork chop.  The flavor from the pistachios and parmesan cheese make up for whatever the pork chop may naturally lack.  Hubby even guessed the Dijon mustard marinade, which also played a roll in ensuring flavor and moisture.  The brussel sprouts tasted fresh and had a crunch.  It was one of the most delicious semi-healthy dinners I've made in a while.

 I use my mini food processor to make the crust.  It is so easy to put all the flavors in and see what it will taste like afterwards.  The mix kind of looks like our granite countertops.

The finished product... bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    Siempre hay una primera vez y esta es que no pude resistir la tentación de copiar las recetas.Son tan secillas y simples que solo con leerlas se percibe y adelanta el sabor tan delicioso que de seguro tienen.
    ¿usastes el sarten para los costillas?
    Felicidades
    ¿que te dijo tu papá?
    Abuela

    ReplyDelete