Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Monkey Business

When my parents were in town, we had gone to Tillman's Roadhouse for brunch (you can see that post here).  During brunch, we tried their skillet monkey bread, which left something to be desired... at least, for someone who has made monkey bread before and knows its cinnamon-sugary, buttery potential.  I didn't think much of that monkey bread until I found myself with two very ripe bananas.

Tillman's good but not great monkey bread.

When I have three bananas that are a little too mushy to eat, I usually make banana bread, but I only had two ripe bananas.  I went online to seek out a recipe that would be delicious and allow me to use the two bananas without needing to buy a third.  When I'm looking for a recipe with a specific ingredient, I usually do an ingredient search on allrecipes.com.  As I looked through the search results, I saw one recipe stick out from the abundance of banana bread recipes... bananas foster monkey bread.  At that moment, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.  I got to use my two ripe bananas while showing hubby that monkey bread is a dish worth swooning over.

The recipe for monkey bread is so easy.  With ingredients like sugar, butter, and biscuit dough, it is very hard to go wrong.  The result was dessert nirvana.  Hubby said it was the best dessert I've ever made... funny how little effort this took versus some of the my more extravagant dessert attempts.  It was a dessert worthy of skipping dinner (well, maybe just a small salad for dinner).

Look at how gooey and delicious that looks!  At Tillman's I had expected it to look like this but in the shape of a skillet.

We had our bananas fosters monkey bread a la mode for dessert.

Maui was jealous of our delicious dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of monkey bread. Must be an interesting story behind the name! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tosario:
    You lived long time in Louisiana to reconize o remember the famous "bananas foster " from the Brennan's restaurant.
    Now your "monkey banana bread" brings sweewt memories. Could it be a "second time around"?
    Magnifico !!
    Abuela

    ReplyDelete