Wednesday, August 1, 2012

What's in a name?

Yesterday, I was on a name changing mission.  Since our wedding in June, I had eagerly awaited receiving our marriage certificate to start the name changing process.  It's not that I didn't like my name before... I actually got a bit sentimental about the idea of changing a name I had known for 27 years.  The reason for such a quick change was convenience.  The one thing that's nice about not having a job is that I have nothing but time (well, the time when I'm not job searching).  Changing your name (and in my case, my address too) requires lots of time, usually waiting, at the variety of government offices necessary to change your identity.

I started the name changing journey at the Social Security Office in downtown Fort Worth.  Ready with magazines for a long wait, I was surprised to have only a half hour wait or maybe not even that.  I came ready with my form filled out (the Social Security Office had the most helpful website for name changes), so with a few strikes of her keyboard the helpful woman was able to change my name.  Done!

Then it was off to the DPS (you may know it as the DMV) in South Fort Worth to get my license changed.  My maiden name is long, which often confuses people, and my ID had the wrong name because someone in Louisiana when I first got my license put the comma in the wrong place.  This led to a strange hyphenated thing that only mildly resembled my actual name.  I was thrilled to get it changed to a new, simple name.  I only waited about 10 or 15 minutes at the DPS, just long enough to fill out the form they had handed me.  A few questions, a new picture (thank goodness I was prepared), and the name change was complete.  Another one done!

To get a toll tag in the Dallas-Fort Worth area seems far from easy.  The way I understand it, the toll tag is connected to your driver's license number and your license plate number.  This means, you can't use the same toll tag in multiple cars.  Because of this, getting a new license and registering my car in Texas were very important.  So my next stop was the title and registration office in downtown Fort Worth (with a quick detour to get the car inspected).  There was no wait, and the friendly lady took care of all the changes quickly and without problems (it was good that I had gone through the necessary requirements online beforehand).  In no time, I was done there too.

I was pretty impressed with myself that in the course of 3 hours, I had gone to 3 government offices and changed my name.  I feel like I have spent 3 hours at the DMV alone previous times.  I was pleasantly surprised by everyone's friendliness and efficiency and was glad to see that the name changing process wasn't as scary as I had expected it to be.  Thanks Fort Worth!

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    Eso es lo que se llama un martes bien administrado.Creo que tanro tu como el estado de Texas estan empezando una relacion muy amistosa y fructifera. " No frills".
    Abuela

    ReplyDelete