Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Ropa Vieja

For dinner last night, I made one of my favorite Cuban recipes.  No matter where I have this dish, it is always delicious.  It is simple but flavorful, and that is the key to its continued success.  The dish is called ropa vieja, which translates to "old clothes."  This translation is probably due to the fact that the shredded meat in tomato sauce can look a little like old clothes.  However, it tastes delicious... I promise!

I had seen a recipe for a slow cooker version in Food Network magazine a while back, but on further inspection it didn't seem anything like what I was used to.  For example, it called for ketchup and jalapenos, which are definitely not normal Cuban cooking ingredients.  I referenced my Cuban cookbooks and found the proper recipe in a Spanish cookbook.  Using both recipes, I was able to come up with a slow cooker version of the ropa vieja I know and love.




Ingredients ready to go!

The most important ingredient for slow cooker ropa vieja is a slow cooker.  The other ingredients include:

1.5 pounds flank steak (skirt steak can also be used)
1 medium onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic
1 red pepper, sliced
1 - 14.5 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1.5 tsp cumin
salt to taste

I put all these ingredients in the slow cooker for 8 hours.  About an hour before it is done, shred the beef with two forks.  It should fall apart easily.  Mix everything around and allow it to soak in all the juices for the last hour.  Serve over rice.

All the ingredients in the crock pot waiting to become a delicious dish.

The final dish... a juicy blend of beefy tomato goodness.

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    Perfecta!!!!
    No tiene nada que envidiar a la que hacia mi mamá. En aquella época no habia la olla lenta, pero estoy segura que ella la hubiera usado.
    En un restaurante de la nueva linea cubana me enccntré con este nombre para la ropa vieja, "Second Time Around", meaning primero para sopa y segundo con la salsa de tomate.
    Ojala que a tu hubby le guste de vez en cuando la sazón cubana.
    Felicitaciones
    Besos Abuela

    ReplyDelete