Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spider Solitaire

I think I discovered the game of solitaire through my mother who used to play it on the computer.  From solitaire, she showed me freecell, another computer card game that challenges the mind.  When Windows started coming with spider solitaire pre-installed, my family got hooked on that.  I remember my parents playing games together using their combined brain power to claim victory over the card game.  First they started with one-suit games and then graduated to two-suit games. 

When I first started dating hubby, he introduced me to the world of crosswords, and I shared with him a love for spider solitaire.  While I still prefer to do crosswords with a buddy (my sports knowledge is lacking), hubby accepted spider solitaire as his own.  As my parents had, he started off with one-suit games and quickly went on to two-suit games.  After deciding that two suits weren't enough, hubby started playing three-suit games.  I would help him with games, but I don't think he ever really needed my help.  He took risks I would never take and would win games I would never have won. 

The other night, hubby decided to try a four-suit game.  I thought he was crazy for trying.  For me, knowing it's nearly impossible to win takes some of the fun out of it.  I sat there watching hubby play thinking to myself that too much thought was needed to do this right before bed.  Then he declared that he was about to win.  I thought he was kidding, but I saw on the screen how, in moments, he would beat a four-suit game.  Winning the game was almost like declaring victory over all of spider solitaire.  The student had become the master.  I know it may sound silly but that was pretty impressive.

The game when hubby said he was about to win.  Notice all four suits in place.

Even the pop-up confirms that it was a 4 suit game... so impressive!

Here's the latest in Maui's adventures.  She is hanging out with us on our patio in this picture.

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    En español la traducccion de "spider solitaire"
    Me trae a la memoria "el llanero solitaro" una pelicula de un cowboy que fué muy famoso alla por los 40's.
    Los problemas que él resolvia eran impresionantes con la diferencia que en lugar de cartas usaba su revolver y su caballo.
    Imaginate ganar un competencia de cuatro. Algo fatástico y de celebrar.
    Merece una cena en tu restaurante privado.
    Besos
    Abuela

    ReplyDelete