Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Potted Plants and Armadillos

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about buying a basil plant.  I was making the sun gold tomato pasta and thought that investing in a basil plant would be a better idea than just buying basil.  The plant looked so pretty and smelled so nice for the first couple of days.  Then slowly the leaves began to hang droopier and droopier.  I watered it more often than the instructions said to, but it still didn't look too good.  Then I put it outside to get more sun, but I feel like it looked even sadder after being in the heat.  Finally, I called my mother who is much more of a green thumb than I am.  Apparently, when you buy plants, they usually have more roots than dirt in their original pots.  This means that when you water it, the water instantly drains out because there is no dirt to soak it up.  I headed over to Home Depot and bought a larger pot and some potting soil in hopes of saving my basil plant.  I feel that even after one day the basil plant is already looking happier.

Happier already!

Last night was a quick dinner.  I made rotini and meatballs with some mozzarella cheese I had leftover from making the baked ziti last week.  We are still eating through the meatballs I made and froze a month ago.   We probably have at least two more dinners worth of them before I will have to make more.  They really make the greatest go-to dinner.

Hubby thought it looked so nice that he wanted to take a picture of it... so I did!

This next photo is courtesy of hubby.  While walking back from getting the mail yesterday, he saw an armadillo!  This picture (below) makes it look like we live in the woods, but we really don't.  There is an entire shopping center with a Barnes & Nobles and Banana Republic (among other stores) within 5 minutes walking distance.  We do live by a river, but we also live by a train yard.  Anyways, we don't live in the middle of nowhere, but there are still armadillos here.  It's nice to know that even in the middle of somewhere a little nature can still creep in.  Do New York pigeons count as nature?

Our little armored friend

1 comment:

  1. Rosario:
    Me alegra que sepas ya como tratar las plantas que compras en la tienda. "Que bien viene un green thumb en la familia".Ya puedes hacer tu pesto con las hojitas . El armadillo es gracioso pero me alegro de no tenerlo en el patio.
    Besos Abuela

    ReplyDelete